Monday, November 15, 2010

Pickles


Update:  We raised $200 in pledges for Pickles and paid for a week's boarding.  He eventually settled down, but it became clear that he has vision problems.  He was transferred to a big rescue in Colorado, Big Dogs Huge Paws.  They have the resources to give him the care he needs and hopefully find him a forever home.

This is Pickles. He is another one of the Berryville 6, two of whom we helped save a couple of weeks ago. They are the ones whose owner was threatening to shoot because her house was being foreclosed upon.

Pickles is an absolutely gorgeous Great Pyr or Pyr/Akbash mix that is just 10 months old.

He is in a terrible situation. The rescue that took him can't handle him. This is from an email I received from the rescue: 

"I can normally handle anything, but I am just over the edge. I will be totally honest. Pickles (he was called Cry Baby by the Berryville lady) most likely has vision problems. Shelley (Dogs Only) who took Cujo, the brother is sure Cujo does. I was going to get his eyes checked, but I just don't have the money. We think bad vision is why both these pups are insecure and bark all night. I leave all the outside lights on all night and it helps, but not solved. He's half Pyr, what can I say! Sherman, his daddy, has an adopter coming Friday. I know Pickles will have to be in a VERY secure place after Sherman leaves. He will still have Leo, that he came with, but Pickles wants both with him. I hate the thought of boarding him, but worse, the thought of him getting out, letting Leo out and them getting shot by one of these trigger happy farmers around here.

When I got back from dropping off Sherman to be neutered, Pickles had moved the kennel panels in 3 feet and bent one at an almost 45 degree angle. He escaped but never left the property. I had to hire someone to come put everything back and secure it. When I took Sherman up to the house yesterday, Pickles tugged until he got the gate open. I had it double latched and a bungy cord, but he managed to still open the gate. He and Leo were gone. Took several hours before they returned. Sherman had his stitches out this morning. I closed Pickles in the shop so he would not get away. He managed to make it look like a cyclone had passed through. He was in with another dog who has lived in there for over a year, so figured she would keep him occupied. Wrong.

Pickles has had no vetting. I have given him the DHLP/Parvo and wormed him and Comfortis for fleas. One of the 3 has pretty loose stool so have all 3 on metronitazole. Sherman was HW negative, so with Pickles only being 10 months old and Shermans son, I'd be pretty certain he is negative also. He weighs about 60 pounds. He has double dews. His stance is not Pyr and neither is his head, but muzzle is similar along with coat.

I will do what ever I can to get this boy moved to a safe place where he will get what he needs to become adoptable. If a condition is neuter, then I will manage it. I am willing to help with transport up to 125 miles one way. I care about this pup, but my priority has to be with my husband. "


I told the rescue I would pay for boarding while we worked on finding another rescue to help him. So they put him in boarding yesterday. I received another email today:

"Well, one night in boarding and he has been kicked out! Got the call this morning after less then 18 hours there. Tore up 3 water containers, 2 heavy masonite panels used to keep dogs from seeing each other and somehow managed to get his food bowl into the next kennel. No way would it fit under so he had to of slung it over 6' high. Tearing up the water would not be an issue except that the water then freezes on the concrete so he had to be moved to the next kennel. That is how he managed to tear up 2 panels. I'll get the bill for damages Tuesday. 

Pickles must have been in total hysteria. I feel so sorry for him. He is just so scared. He came right to me when he heard my voice. He is back with Leo and so far settled down. I need to go get some more landscape timbers and cut some rebar to secure the fence before night or he will be letting them both out. So far he has not eaten through the chain link. Just torn it loose from the frame or drug it several feet in with his teeth, then went under. He needs someone who understands the needs of a blind dog and I am totally inadequate."


I don't have a rescue to take him yet, but I think this is a really bad situation. Obviously, she can't handle him. I don't know if he has vision problems or not - but I want her to get him to a vet.

I'd like to raise a dowry for him of $200 - maybe then I can find a rescue to rescue him from the situation he is in.

Please help by pledging $5-$25 to save Pickles. There's no one to contribute to yet - but with a dowry and some luck I think we can find a place to take him in.

Thanks!