Monday, March 7, 2011

Charlie


Could you please contribute $5 for Charlie?


Please ChipIn at www.doomeddogs.blogspot.com

We are sponsoring Charlie's rescue by Great Pyrenees Rescue of Atlanta.  Here is his story from the lady who rescued him: 

"I was coming back from my grandparents' house in North Carolina two weeks ago Sunday and found a Great Pyrenees walking in the middle of Highway 441. Being the animal lover that I am, I immediately turned around to help him. Thank God I did, he wouldn't have had a chance with the line of traffic coming his way. I called him and he immediately ran to me with his tail wagging and seemed very happy to see me. I walked him for hours, going door to door in this rural area and talked to many people that had never seen him before. Some said that people always drop dogs off at the post office which was very close by (how sad). I don't know if this was the case with him though, since he walked on a leash (always on my left side) and stopped when I stopped, ran when I ran, and rubbed his head on my leg when I talked to him. He's such a sweetheart. He had on a collar but no tag. We tried to contact the animal control, sheriffs department and finally 911 to try to get some help, but nobody was willing to help us. I guess this was something that they saw regularly, plus it was a Sunday and Monday was Presidents day so most were closed. It was getting dark and cold and we weren't having any luck. I cried knowing that I could not leave his sweet soul there alone. I bonded with him within the 2 hours or so that we were together and could see the love in his big, beautiful brown eyes. One of the locals that we talked to earlier happened to work at a local vet (praise the Lord) and agreed to take him there to get food, water, and shelter until we could come up with plan B. They were going to send him to the shelter and I've begged them to keep him there until I could find a rescue or new home for him. I talk to them daily and seems to be doing well. I talked to the vet this weekend who said he is approximately 1-2 years old and weighs about 80 pounds. He is full blooded Great Pyrenees with the 2 rear claw toes and other qualities that I have read about. She said he seems to be in good shape but has a bad tooth that has caused irritation in his gums, they are red and swollen. She has not done any testing on him yet. It costs $77 for testing and my finances won't allow it. I am hoping that you can help me. I know you're probably wondering by now why I don't keep him for myself since I love him so much. Well, I could give him more love than he would ever need, but work 3 jobs and can't give him the time, nor the space he needs. I live in a small house with no fenced yard. I am actively trying to find him a home before they say he has to go elsewhere. I have asked that they give me until the middle of the week. Can you please help? I have attached a couple pictures of him. I've named him Charlie :) "


With our sponsorship, Great Pyr Rescue of Atlanta has taken him and put into foster care.
  
All donations go directly from Paypal to Great Pyrenees Rescue of Atlanta, a 501(c)(3) charity, and are tax-deductible. Please chip in - together we can save this one and many more!

Charlie is in Atlanta - if you are interested in adopting, please contact GPRA at http://www.greatpyratlanta.com/  

Willing to help us save more dogs?   Here are some ways:

1.      Please join our group at www.facebook.com/groups/doomeddogs.
2.      If you are already a Doomed Dogs member, please add a friend to our group by clicking on “Add Friends to Group” on our FB page.
3.       Please go to our FB page and "like" it - this will allow you to get updates on our new dogs in your news feed: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Save-Doomed-Dogs-from-Kill-Shelters/186358488058554
4.       Please share this post on FB (there should be a little Share link just below this post on our FB page).